There has been much speculation about how Vi Lyles beat Jennifer Roberts for Mayor in the Democratic primary. Yes, Roberts espoused many unpopular issues such as the so called bathroom bill and showed limited leadership during the riots. But this was a stunning defeat for Jennifer who is the incumbent Mayor. In my opinion the endorsement of the Black Political Caucus caused the margin of difference. Every candidate including Lyles endorsed by the Caucus won the Democratic primary. Roberts was not.For example note what the Caucus did for their endorsees.
- Collected $7500 for the candidates to fund their Get out the Vote effort.
- Mailed flyers to all A voter households in the city of Charlotte, reaching over 10,000 voters.
- Distributed flyers to churches
- Sent personal letters to pastors
- Did a social media campaign on Facebook
- Delivered flyers to Black Businesses, Barber Shops, etc
- Most GOTV members worked on election day staffing precincts or delivering ballots
Because Vi Lyles was endorsed by the Caucus she reaped the benefits of the massive Caucus GOV effort and won overwhelmingly. Collett Forest is the leader of the Black Political Caucus and it is through her leadership and efforts that Lyles is the Democratic nominee for Mayor.